One of the largest studies ever done on the dangers of smoking can help you bring the painful reality of of the dangers of smoking more into focus and clarify the compelling benefits you can have from quitting now than ever before. So as you read this I challenge you to not dissociate from it like it’s just a cold recitation of facts. But allow yourself to imagine as one of the participants and ask yourself “what would I feel like to be one of those statistics? What would it feel like in my body? And what would the faces of those who love me reflect back at me as I went through being one of these tragic statistics?”
Here are the details:
Between 1996 and 2001 researchers at Oxford University studied 1.3 million women between the ages of 50 to 65 who were regular smokers. Ages, lifestyle factors and sociological factors were taken into account and the researchers followed up with everyone again three and eight years later.
Here are some of their findings:
- Over a three year period of middle age, women who do not quit smoking are three times likely to die than non smokers and those who quit in middle age.
- Two-thirds of the deaths of female smokers in their 50’s, 60’s and 70’s are related to smoking.
- Light smokers (1-9 cigs/day) were still twice as likely to die as non-smokers
- Women who quit prior to 40 reduce their risk of early death by 90 percent
- Women who quit smoking before the age of 30 reduce their risk by 97 percent.
- Even women who quit around the age of 50 avoid at least two-thirds of continuous smokers’ excess mortality.
- Overall the picture is clear that quitting smoking before middle age will add an average of 10 years to your life.
Other facts worth noting:
- Smoking causes 443,000 deaths per year in the U.S.
- Smoking increases the risk of stroke and coronary heart disease by two to four times
- It increases the risk of death from chronic lung diseases (like COPD, bronchitis and emphysema) by 12 to 13 times.
- Tobacco use kills more people than illegal drug use, HIV, vehicle injuries, suicides, alcohol and murders combined.
I wonder if you can imagine what would you do with TEN MORE YEARS TO YOUR LIFE?
Call Richmond Hypnosis Clinic at 804-803-1497 for your free screening and let’s find out together if we can help you find out what ways you can enjoy ten more years with those you love.
CEO Richmond Hypnosis Center